Section 504 requires that school districts provide a free appropriate public education (FAPE) to qualified students in their jurisdictions who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, regardless of the nature or severity of the disability. Under Section 504, FAPE means providing regular or special education and related aids and services designed to meet the student’s individual educational needs as adequately as the needs of non-disabled students are met.
Articles in this section
- What is the Rehabilitation Act of 1973?
- What is Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973?
- What is Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973?
- What is the "Section 508 Refresh"?
- Who needs to be Section 508 Compliant?
- How do I become Section 508 compliant?
- How does Section 508 impact state and municipal government entities?
- What part of the Rehabilitation Act applies to K-12 Schools?
- If my state does not require compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, am I still required to present an accessible site?
- What Technologies are Included in Section 508?