The Section 508 Refresh of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 jointly updates and reorganizes the Section 508 standards in response to market trends and innovations, such as the convergence of technologies. The Refresh also harmonizes these requirements with other guidelines and standards both in the U.S. and abroad, including standards issued by the European Commission and with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), a globally recognized voluntary consensus standard for web content and information and communication technology. Specifically, the rule references WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria and applies them not only to websites, but also to electronic documents and software.
Articles in this section
- What is the Rehabilitation Act of 1973?
- What is Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973?
- What is Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973?
- What is the "Section 508 Refresh"?
- Who needs to be Section 508 Compliant?
- How do I become Section 508 compliant?
- How does Section 508 impact state and municipal government entities?
- What part of the Rehabilitation Act applies to K-12 Schools?
- If my state does not require compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, am I still required to present an accessible site?
- What Technologies are Included in Section 508?